Canine Cancer Awareness header image 2

Roofus added to Faces of Courage

December 30th, 2011 · 6 Comments

UPDATE 12-30-2011—

My Chocolate Lab, Roofus, was diagnosed with lung cancer on December 2, 2011. The oncologist told us he had “about a month”. His breathing became more difficult and he was put down on Monday, December 26, 2011. He was only six years old. He was a part of my family and we miss him so much.

— Doug

Tags: Lung Cancer

6 responses so far ↓

• 1 Marna // Jan 17, 2012 at 11:27 pm

My heart goes out to you and all who loved Roofus. My dog has osteosarcoma which eventually leads to lung cancer. He is also 6 yrs. old. I hope that happy memories can bring you some comfort in this most difficult time. God Bless!

• 2 cindy // Feb 11, 2012 at 2:37 pm

My heart goes out to you and Roofus. I feel your pain. I lost my 6 year old yellow lab (Hunter) to lung cancer. He also lasted only 1 month. What is it losing our loving pets to cancer? I think of him every day like iam sure you do Roofus. I am so sorry for your loss and as you have all the best memories of your short time together will bring you comfort. It’s so HARD i feel your pain God Bless

• 3 Becki // Feb 23, 2012 at 9:51 pm

I’m so sad for you. Our eleven-year-old boxer mix was just diagnosed with a mast cell tumor, and I fear we are going to lose him. We can’t afford chemo and radiation, and it’s not in a place where they can remove it. It’s amazing how much joy and love our pets bring to our lives, one of God’s richest gifts to man.

• 4 Laurie // Jan 24, 2013 at 2:22 pm

I am so sorry for all of your losses. We have been very blessed in that our standard poodle, Chip was diagnosed with lung cancer when he was 11 1/2 years old. I was devastated and took him to a specialist. They told me he was in really good shape other than the cancer and that they could remove the lung and he should be alright. Well that was 2 years 3 months ago. The surgery was very hard on him and many times I thought that I had made the wrong decision, but after about 3 months he started to bounce back. I am happy to say that we have been blessed with his companionship for much longer than we could hope for. Unfortunately, he has started coughing again and he has a metastatic lesion in his other lobe of his lung. We are trying to enjoy every day we have with him. I am taking him to the vet tomorrow as that I found a quarter size lesion on his posterior leg and I am praying it is something stupid and not that the cancer has gone there also. Please keep Chip in your thoughts and prayers as I will all of you. Losing Chip will be one of the hardest things I have ever gone through and I am a cancer survivor myself. I pray that all of your hearts will heal from your losses.

• 5 Jayman8383 // Feb 15, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Im so sorry you lost your friend. I can’t imagine a lose so great.I’m sure my words are weak and fruitless but, wanted to say don’t give ever give up please keep going and adopt another animal

• 6 Nancy // Aug 5, 2015 at 6:42 pm

My 11 yr old corgi, Sadie, was diagnosed with lung cancer 3 months ago. She is on prednisone and lasix, but is not herself. Wants food constantly, stays in the back of the house, quit sleeping in her bed, and is short of breath with the slightest activity. I can’t afford chemo even if available here, breaks my heart that she seems to avoid me. Has been my furbaby for 10 years. What should I do.